The Weekend Round-up
- Onward largely avoided corona chaos over the weekend to open with £3.4m, which includes £829k from last Saturday’s preview. Pixar’s last non-sequel release was Coco which opened with £5.2m in January 2018 (including £1.8m Sat/Sun previews). Prior to this, The Good Dinosaur opened with £2.9m in 2015.
- The invisible Man dropped to second place in its second weekend, adding £1.5m to take its total to £4.9m. With a drop of just 30%, the film refuses to live up to its name and maintains the best hold of the Top 10.
- Sonic The Hedgehog dropped 51% to land in third position. With a new total of £18.4m, the film remains the second biggest opener of 2020 so far after 1917.
- Military Wives opened in fourth with £963k, including £74k from previews. Among PostTrak interviewees, the audience was 68% female and 52% aged 45+. The average rating was 4.5 stars out of 5 (missing out on a 5-star rating by just 1%), with older women giving a full 5 stars.
- Parasite rounded off the top 5 with a new total of £11.4m. This means the film has now overtaken The Passion of the Christ to become the biggest foreign-language release of all time in the UK.
- Outside of the top five, Blumhouse’s Fantasy Island opened at number seven with £392k, and Dolittle now has box office total of £15.7m.
The overall box office is down 17% from last weekend, ranking 49th out of the latest 52 weekends. It is down 46% versus the same weekend in 2019 when Captain Marvel debuted at No.1 with £12.7m followed by Fighting With My Family in its second weekend with £1.0m.
- My Spy follows JJ a hardened CIA operative (Dave Bautista) who has been demoted and finds himself at the mercy of a precocious 9-year-old girl, named Sophie (Chloe Coleman) where he has been sent undercover begrudgingly to surveil her family.
- Bloodshot is based on the bestselling comic book, Vin Diesel stars as Ray Garrison, a soldier recently killed in action and brought back to life as the superhero Bloodshot by the RST corporation.
- Misbehaviour stars Keira Knightley and Gugu Mbatha-Raw. Claiming that beauty competitions demeaned women, the newly formed Women's Liberation Movement achieved overnight fame by invading the stage and disrupting the live broadcast of the 1970 Miss World competition.
- The Hunt is finally released in UK cinemas this Friday. Twelve strangers wake up in a clearing. They don't know where they are, or how they got there. They don't know they've been chosen... for a very specific purpose... The Hunt.
A Quiet Place Part II had its first screening in the US last week and the first responses are pretty ecstatic, claiming the film is a match for the brilliant first film. It’s one of 2020’s best films for 16-34s and it’s in cinemas on Thursday 19 March. You can read the responses here: https://collider.com/a-quiet-place-2-reactions-reviews/.
Across The Pond
Onward topped the box office in the US too, opening with $40m. The invisible Man fell to second adding $15m, a drop of 46%, and The Way Back opened in third with $8.5m. Sonic The Hedgehog fell two places to fourth, and now has a running total of $141m. The top five was completed by The Call of the Wild, which added $7m to take its total to $57m.