The Weekend Round-up
- Tenet topped the box office for the third successive weekend adding £1.2m, a drop of 43%. That takes its total after 19 days in cinemas to £12.4m. Over the weekend it overtook Guy Ritchie’s The Gentleman and Oscar Best Picture-winning Parasite (both on £12.1m) to become the eighth biggest film of 2020 to date and the fifth biggest film released this year. In terms of Christopher Nolan’s back catalogue, the next target is Batman Begins, which finished on £16.7m.
- In last week’s round-up I mentioned a film called After We Collided that opened in seventh place despite not playing in any DCM cinemas. It’s a romantic drama based on Anna Todd’s 2014 young-adult novel that follows the love life of two young people and it appears that the surprise success has inspired more cinemas to book it and it came in second this weekend, increasing on last weekend’s total by 152% to £443k. After ten days in cinemas it has grossed £764k and looks like giving The New Mutants a run for its money.
- Break The Silence: The Movie came in third with £250k. This is a documentary about K-pop sensation BTS as they embark on their 2019 ‘Love Yourself: Speak Yourself' Tour and to date it has banked £374k.
- The New Mutants added £201k in fourth, a drop of 44% once previews are removed, which takes its total to £1.1m.
- Pixar’s Onward completed the top five, adding £97k, a drop of 29% from last weekend. That was enough to take its total to £7.1m.
- Outside of the top five, there were a few new releases, the biggest of which was teen comedy The Broken Hearts Gallery which opened in sixth with £88k. That was just ahead of Polish drama Petla, which opened with £85k and followed in the footsteps or recent Polish hits the Kobiety Mafii series and 365 Dni, which opened in cinemas but caused a stir on Netflix recently.
The top 15 totalled £2.7m, which is down 27% from last weekend but the overall box office was down just 11% from last weekend.
- Bill And Ted Face The Music is the third film in the much loved comedy series. Once told they'd save the universe during a time-traveling adventure, two would-be rockers from San Dimas, California find themselves as middle-aged dads still trying to crank out a hit song and fulfil their destiny.
- Rocks is a British drama about a young teenage girl who finds herself struggling to take care of herself and her younger brother after being abandoned by their single mother with no choice but to live out on the streets.