The Brynamman Public Hall Cinema celebrates 90 years this week. The venue originally opened in 1926 as Miner’s Welfare Hall and the opening of the cinema followed a few years later in the 1930s, showing silent films before the ‘talkies’ came along.
Today, Brynamman Public Hall continues to grow and has kept up with all the vast changes the film industry has experienced over the years, most recently being the transformation to digital projection.
As of May 2013, the cinema acquired the ability to show two films simultaneously for the first time in its 89-year history thanks to the opening of Screen 2, a 43-seat auditorium situated in the old lounge space.
The venue’s development has been made possible due to the good work of its committee of volunteers who run the day to day business of the cinema.
Here’s to the next 90 years!