|Target Audience||ABC1 35+|
|Package||Gold Spots (Odeon & Pictuerhouse only)|
|Media Agency||Manning Gottlieb OMD|
- John Lewis has been in partnership with Waitrose since 1937, with the two retailers forming the John Lewis Partnership - the largest employee-owned retailer in the UK. The partnership proudly puts staff at the heart of its business – a strong point of difference over competitors in the retail market.
- In 2018, the decision was made to rebrand both companies with the aim of making the partnership and its employee-centric model more evident to consumers – ‘John Lewis & Partners’ and ‘Waitrose & Partners’ was born.
- In September 2018, the rebrand campaign – anchored by a brand film featuring a group of schoolkids performing Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody - launched with the central idea highlighting the Partnership’s co-operative ideals: “when you’re part of it, you put your heart into it”.
- To maximise impact of the campaign, the brand film was to run across TV, social, BVOD and cinema. Running the ad in cinema was fulfilling a key role in the mix for John Lewis – increasing audience immersion, engagement and enjoyment of the ad, with the ultimate aim of helping drive key brand metrics including love for the brand, difference to competitors and relevance to consumers.
- Furthermore, cinema offered a great contextual opportunity for John Lewis with the ad launching in the run up to release of the Freddie Mercury biopic Bohemian Rhapsody. Collaborating with ODEON and Picturehouse, John Lewis were able to buy gold spots in a series of films and ensure their ad immediately followed the Bohemian Rhapsody trailer.
- Across the month the ad played ahead of a range of films including Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, Incredibles 2, King of Thieves and BlacKkKlansman.