Last week saw the return of blockbuster cinema with Christopher Nolan’s latest action-epic Tenet taking the box office by storm and grossing over £10m in its first 12 days. Tenet is already the 10th biggest film of 2020 to date due to cinema admissions passing the half a million mark for the last two consecutive weeks – a new high in 2020.
This is a milestone moment in terms of the cinema industry’s recovery and DCM has launched a social and outdoor campaign, in partnership with Twitter and Ocean, to celebrate the return of the #BestSeatInMedia.
From today (Thursday 10 September), DCM has kicked off a competition offering cinemagoers the chance to win a top prize of £2,000 Selfridges vouchers and 10 runner-up prizes of a pair of Beats headphones*.
Prospective winners can be in with the chance of winning by following DCM on Twitter (@DCM_Cinema_news) and sharing their ‘Best Tweet’ of the ‘#BestSeatInMedia’ by posting a photo of their return to cinema experience alongside the hashtag.
The competition will run until 11 October, with the winners then revealed on social and key digital outdoor sites across the UK.
Karen Stacey, CEO, Digital Cinema Media (DCM), commented: “Cinema was one of the most-missed activities during lockdown and it’s great to see people returning to once again be captivated by great stories on the big screen.
“Young, hard-to-reach audiences are driving this return to cinema. Advertisers looking to take advantage of cinema’s immersive and distraction-free environment should be heartened by the even more exciting content still to come for the rest of this year and into 2021, with the big screen still the best place to watch new content.
“Cinema creates cultural moments that bring people together in a positive, shared way and as the UK public safely returns to the big screen experience, we can’t wait to see everyone’s photos from the #BestSeatInMedia!”
To support the launch of the campaign, DCM’s Karen Stacey, Davina Barker, Sales Director; David Hipkiss, Commercial & Trading Director and Tom Linay, Content Business Director documented a trip to the cinema this week at Picturehouse Central in London, showcasing what makes the big screen experience so special and why cinema is the #BestSeatInMedia.
*Competition Terms & Conditions:
- Entrants must be 18+, resident in the UK and have a Twitter profile
- Entries must include the hashtag #BestSeatInMedia to be eligible
- The prizes are as stated, are not transferable to another individual and no cash or other alternatives will be offered.
- In the event of a prize being unavailable, the promoter reserves the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- The winner(s) agree(s) to the use of their name and photograph and will co-operate with any other reasonable requests by Digital Cinema Media relating to any post-winning publicity.
- A judging panel will independently select the winner(s). Judges will be looking for creative, inspirational and engaging content.
- Winners will be contacted via Twitter to confirm the prize in writing
- Failure to respond and/or provide an address for delivery, or failure to meet the eligibility requirements may result in forfeiture of the prize.
- Competitions may be modified or withdrawn at any time.